Closing the Gap: From Evidence to Action
International Nurses Day is celebrated around the world every May 12, the anniversary of Florence Nightingale’s birth. The International Council of Nurses commemorates this important day each year with the production and distribution of the International Nurses’ Day (IND) Kit. The IND Kit 2012 contains educational and public information materials, for use by nurses everywhere.
The IND theme for 2012 is: Closing The Gap: From Evidence to Action. The content of this year’s kit, including the poster image are posted here as downloadable documents for use by individual nurses, associations, health ministries and health institutions. This material has already been disseminated to national nurses’ associations worldwide. Though mainly planned around May 12 each year, IND activities continue for much of the year by nurses and others. We encourage nurses everywhere to make extended use of the Closing The Gap: From Evidence to Action kit throughout the year, through individual action and group activities.
ICN themes for International Nurses Day:
- 1988 – Safe Motherhood
- 1989 – School Health
- 1990 – Nurses and Environment
- 1991 – Mental Health – Nurses in Action
- 1992 – Healthy Aging
- 1993 – Quality, costs and Nursing
- 1994 – Healthy Families for Healthy Nation
- 1995 – Women’s Health: Nurses Pave the Way
- 1996 – Better Health through Nursing Research
- 1997 – Healthy Young People = A Brighter Future
- 1998 – Partnership for Community Health
- 1999 – Celebrating Nursing’s Past, claiming the future
- 2000 – Nurses – Always there for you
- 2001 – Nurses, Always There for You: United Against Violence
- 2002 – Nurses Always There for You: Caring for Families
- 2003 – Nurses: Fighting AIDS stigma, working for all
- 2004 – Nurses: Working with the Poor; Against Poverty
- 2005 – Nurses for Patients Safety: Targeting counterfeit medicines and substandard medication
- 2006 – Safe staffing saves lives
- 2007 – Positive practice environments: Quality workplaces = quality patient care
- 2008 – Delivering Quality, Serving Communities: Nurses Leading Primary Health Care
- 2009 – Delivering Quality, Serving Communities: Nurses Leading Care Innovations
- 2010 – Delivering Quality, Serving Communities: Nurses Leading Chronic Care.
- 2011 – Closing The Gap: Increasing Access and Equity.
- 2012 – Closing The Gap: From Evidence to Action.